Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Our Little Sous Chef

Sunday evening I was preparing Jambalaya, and Brenna asked me if she could help. I was cutting up shrimp, and she asked me if she could cut up those "mushrooms". First things first, I had to tell her those weren't mushrooms; they were shrimp. If she's gonna be a sous chef, she's got to learn the difference between shrimp and mushrooms. Call me a task master if you must. Anyway, after taking a deep breath and finding my calm, I handed over the knife and inched my way over to the phone, so it would be on hand to call 911 should a finger tip go missing. All my angst was for naught. She diligently cut the shrimp in half with no loss of limb or shrimp tails for that matter. Next we went on to cutting bratwurst in half and then quarters. That's about as small as I would let her cut. She was losing focus and cutting too close to her fingers for my comfort! Here are a couple of photos of her in action.



Please, no comments on her hair (except can you believe it's long enough for a stubby pony tail?). As George Costanza would say, "I was in the pool". Yep, that's definitely pool hair.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

She looks like a professional!! Pampered Chef actually has a kid friendly knife just for kids. You might need to invest in it because I bet she will want to keep on cutting now. LOL