Thursday, December 23, 2010

10th Day of Blogging - Cake Balls

Last Christmas, Jedd from my office brought in these wonderful treats. When I first opened the bag, I thought oh great another cream-filled candy covered in chocolate blah, blah, blah. After the first bite, I realized these were no ordinary chocolate covered balls. They were RED VELVET CAKE BALLS. Just happens to be my favorite cake on the planet. When I found out that the red velvet cake was mixed with CREAM CHEESE FROSTING, I was hooked. My friend, Meredith, received some on her desk, but by this time she was already miles away on her journey back to Illinois. I couldn't let these glorious treats go to waste, so Brent and I enjoyed them for her. I know, what are friends for right?

This year, I decided to take on the challenge and make some myself. Armed with the recipe from Jedd's wife, I sprang into action ready to conquer the cake ball dipping world. It would be a piece of cake. My Gran used to do this kind of thing all the time. I used to steal blocks of white chocolate bark from the top of the fridge and eat them when no one was looking. Surely this yummy stuff would yield to my every whim. I followed the directions on the recipe to a tee, but the first few balls got all gummed up with the chocolate and their exterior looked like a pimply faced teenager all bumpy and grainy looking. I didn't give up. I found a strategy that worked and about 150 balls later, I'm DONE with candy coating anything this year even though I have some bark left over, and it's going to kill me to waste it. I wonder what kind of shelf life that stuff has. Maybe by Valentine's Day I'll want to venture back into the world of melting and dipping.

1 comment:

Auntie Amie said...

You did a great job!! Those were so yummy!!! Thanks for sharing!!!


Lots of love, hugs, & kisses,

Auntie Amie