Thursday, September 11, 2008

But what will I wear?

It started out as a typical Saturday. Wake up, eat breakfast, watch Noggin, get dressed and head out for morning activities. The activities for this Saturday were pedicure for Mommy and Brenna, lunch and haircut for Brenna. We had to endure a bit of a wait to get in for the pedicure, so a special frozen treat from Starbucks was acquired. Brenna sat very patiently while her toe nails were painted what I can only describe as Dallas Cowboy's blue with an overlay of sparkles. Adorable on her, but would have been hideous on anyone over the age of 10. With our toes looking fantastic, we headed to Chick-fil-a for lunch and a bit of playground playing. Brenna ate well and didn't argue when it was time to leave. Clearly the day was going well. Next we were off to get her haircut. She did really well getting her haircut. She even let the stylist wash it which is always an iffy thing.

After the haircut, I thought things are going so well let's go shopping for some fall/winter clothes, so we headed over to JC Penney. Upon entering the store Brenna said she wanted to get a cart which translates into she was tired and didn't care to walk. I told her no that she was a big girl and could walk. We got about 20 feet into the shopping area and the request for a cart came again. I held my ground and once again told her she could walk. We made it back to the children's clothing section where I began perusing options for the new wardrobe. I picked up a pair of pants and said "How about these?" My simple question was met with an ugly "No, I don't like those." I tried other options and got the same response. I then decided that shopping wasn't in the cards for us that day and told Brenna that we were leaving and going home. This caused her much stress and she begged to stay and shop vowing she'd be good. I held my ground and when she wouldn't walk on her own to the front of the store, I picked her up and hauled her to the front door.

She did manage to walk to the car, climb in and buckle her own seat belt all the while saying that she would be good if we went back in. As we pulled out of the parking lot, she began sobbing, saying she was sorry and could we please go back to the store. I told her no and that we would go another day. The next thing I heard from her mouth was "But what will I wear when it gets cold outside?" It was hard not to laugh out loud at the drama going on in the backseat. I should have said something like "Well, hopefully one of your grandparents will send you some clothes, since you blew your one opportunity for shopping." Sigh, opportunity lost to further scar my child for life...

No comments: